Comprehensive Dental Exam – Pittsburgh, PA
We Take Our Time To Get To Know You
We think the most important job we have as dentists is not to just fix your teeth. After over 30 years of experience and countless hours of continuing education, we are up to almost any challenge. What we think is even more important is diagnosing your dental problems so we can prevent future problems. From there we can come up with treatment options to fit your lifestyle. We want you to have all the information you need to make good decisions for yourself and to understand why you may be having ongoing dental problems. If you are one of the lucky people who already have excellent dental health, congratulations! We can help you stay at the peak of dental health or look your best with the latest in cosmetic treatments.
At your first appointment we want to get to know you and have ample time for you to ask questions. Most of our patients say coming to see us is like visiting a friend and we hope you will feel the same way.
Our exam includes:
- Dental and Medical History: Your systemic health and medications impact your mouth and your mouth can affect your entire body. We also want to know your concerns and any problems you had with dentistry in the past so we can make your visits as comfortable as possible.
- Periodontal Exam: Did you know that 70% of the populations suffers from some sort of gum disease? Most gum disease can be easily treated, sometimes with just a change in your daily habits. We will check the condition of your gums and educate you on the latest information to keep your gums in top shape.
- Dental Exam: We examine your teeth for cavities using the latest technology (Carivue) not just that scary looking explorer.
- Occlusion or Bite exam: Many people have bites that are less than optimal and 50% of the dental problems we see are due to excessive wear and tear or bite overload on certain teeth. Some patients even have muscle pain, headaches or joint problems (TMD, TMJ). When your bite is not in harmony with your muscles, your teeth can become sensitive or even break.
- Oral Cancer Exam: Oral Cancer is painless and hard to detect in the early stages. We do a through exam of the head and neck at every exam.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): Snoring and daytime sleepiness may be a sign of a bigger problem. There is an 80% overlap of bruxism (tooth grinding) and OSA. We examine all patients for risk factors and even have a home sleep testing device (Medibyte) available to test for this important disease.
- Radiographs: We use the newest digital technology (Dexis and Nomad) to safely examine your teeth below the surface and between teeth. These low radiation images are invaluable to us to see cavities, monitor bone health, dental abscesses, cysts and tumors. If necessary we also have a 2D Panoramic X-ray machine and a 3D Cone Beam CT (Gendex DP700) to visualize hard to diagnose infections, cracked teeth or to plan implants.
Once we have gathered all this information, we take as much time as you need to understand your condition and to ask questions. If any treatment is recommended, we will give you all your options so you can make the best decision for yourself and your lifestyle. We also want you to understand why you may be having dental problems and how to prevent them in the future.
Our new patient exam is 90 minutes and we believe this is time well spent to make future appointments as efficient as possible. A separate appointment is made for a dental cleaning to make sure we have adequate time for your needs.